Saturday, February 25, 2017

Living Lightly

In my quest for a carbon-negative life, one of my abiding fascinations/obsessions is with how much plastic has come to dominate our food culture. Here in Kenya, it is almost impossible to get away from the ubiquitous water bottle. To get by, I brought my partner's metal water bottle, and we fill up from water coolers that are stocked with recyclable large water bottles. Still, this is the tip of the iceberg. We reuse any plastic that we can avoid throwing away, and we try to avoid buying anything in plastic that we can (opting for glass, etc.).

Still, this is nowhere near as abstemious as one can get. This young man from India (in the US) conducted a personal life experiment where he tried to avoid waste for two years. He eventually was able to get rid of even toilet paper. Although I can't see myself going this far, this article has definitely moved my goal posts.

If you want to read more about this recycling demigod, you can read his blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment