Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Activism, slactivism, and consumer choice

Katherine Murtinko, in her post "Personal solutions can't save the planet" at Treehugger.com challenges her readers to go beyond the "be the change you want to see in the world," and to seek opportunities to join with like-minded neighbors to change the locality, region, country, and world policies that lock our destruction of the commons. Part of the reason I moved back to Arizona was the hopeful shoots of ecological awareness I saw sprouting in the distance (light rail, denser urban growth, the disappearance of pools and green lawns, and ASU's leading role in sustainability). I also was intrigued by a city in such harsh conditions facing the crisis that we all will eventually have to reckon with. This is my chance to be part of something that could bend the curve on environmental catastrophe, and a place that will only heighten the tension. Let's hope I/we are up to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment